If you own a home, you’ve probably thought about termites in passing, but never seriously considered the possibility. After all, it won’t happen to you…right?
Not so fast! Termites are actually a major problem in the U.S. They cause an estimated $5 billion in damage every year. What’s more, termites aren’t just a southern-state, warm-climate problem. In fact, termites are present and causing damage in every state except Alaska.
As a homeowner, you need to know how to protect your home from termites!
Termite elimination involves three key steps: detection, elimination, and monitoring. You need to know if your home has termites, get rid of them, and then keep them out…for good! Here’s how.
Step 1: Termite Detection
Would you even know if there were termites in your home? If you’re like most homeowners, probably not! And that’s a scary thought. Termite activity can go undetected for months or even years—with termites chewing through your biggest investment in the meantime.
We’ve written before about the signs that termites are in your home. They include things like:
- Mud tubes (termites use them to reach their food source) on the outside of the home
- Soft wood that sounds hollow when tapped
- Wood structures that are darkening or blistering
- Cracked or bubbling paint
- Discarded insect wings near doors or on windowsills
- Presence of “swarmers,” which are winged adult termites often mistaken for flying ants
If you’re not sure, it’s time for a second opinion. (Better safe than sorry, as they say.) It’s a good idea to call a pest professional—like the pros we have at ScherZinger Pest Control—to visit your home and check for termites.
When you know for sure that your house has termites, then it’s time for step two: elimination.
Step 2: Termite Elimination
Google “termite elimination methods,” and you’ll get a whole lot of search results. Unfortunately, not all of them work. Forget using orange oil, beneficial nematodes, or cardboard traps…you need a termite elimination solution that will actually get rid of every last termite!
Here at ScherZinger Pest Control, we know that every home and every situation is different. That’s why we don’t offer one-size-fits-all solutions.
We offer the most effective solutions, tailored to your needs:
- Sentricon Termite Colony Elimination System®. We install Sentricon bait stations with Recruit HD termite bait every 8-10 feet around your home. Termites love this bait: they eat it and share it with the rest of the colony. Eventually, the bait infects and eliminates the entire colony, down to the last termite. Then, we do quarterly inspections to make sure the termites stay gone.
- Perimeter Plus Termite Barrier. We use a liquid barrier treatment to seal the boundary of your property against termites. Then, we do follow-up applications when needed. If we find any hint of termites during our yearly inspection, we’ll re-treat at no additional cost to you!
- Guardian Plus. Termites aren’t the only pest around. If you want the benefits of regular outdoor pest control AND top-notch termite protection, you’ll want Guardian Plus.
- Guardian Complete. Guardian Complete keep termites and pests of all kinds out, bundling indoor AND outdoor pest control, including termite protection and mosquito mitigation.
Step 3: Termite Monitoring
Here is where the old adage, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” rings true. The steps you take now can prevent a big problem later! And the investment you make now will pay dividends—through lower maintenance costs and avoiding future damage.
Any pest control professional worth their salt will let you know that pests might try to come back. That’s why part of termite elimination involves monitoring for them in the future, in case they ever try to return. If they do, ScherZinger is here to re-bait or re-treat!
Call ScherZinger Pest Control Today
ScherZinger Termite and Pest Control is a trusted pest control company in the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky areas, including Dayton, OH, and now Columbus, OH. We’ve been pioneers, engineering new standards for ways of eliminating and controlling bugs and pests. Contact us by phone at 1-877-748-9888 or via web inquiry, Facebook or Twitter.