Termites: the dreaded word every homeowner fears. You may have thought about the chance of these unwanted visitors in your home … but most likely for not long. It won’t happen to me, you assume. Unfortunately, termites are a more common problem than many homeowners care to admit—and understanding how to protect your home is the most important step.
Without visual or physical evidence of termite activity, you might not even know if there are termites making themselves comfortable in your home. Termite protection applies to everyone—no climate is immune.
Wondering how to keep the unwanted visitors out of your home? Prevention is key. The best way to avoid an infestation is to make your home less attractive to termites. A few tips on termite protection that you may not know::
- First, treating termites isn’t something you should probably do on your own. #steerclear #expertsonly
- Termites love wood because it’s a food source and—for some species—shelter. Termites may find their way into your home via wood that comes into contact with it; therefore, try to keep mulch, stacked firewood and tree limbs away from the house as much as possible.
- If you’re working on a DIY project, inspect all lumber before bringing it inside your home. Termites may be hiding. #sneakysneaky
- Some termites are attracted to moisture. Remove any standing water around your home’s foundation which might entice termites, as well as fix leaky pipes and poor gutter drainage.
- It seems hard to believe, but termites are tiny enough that they can squeeze through a concrete crack just 1/32nd of an inch wide. Check your foundation regularly for cracks. Seal off points of entry with caulk; replace broken shingles; and fix loose seals around plumbing and electrical lines to prevent them from entering.
True Termite Protection and Prevention
As a homeowner, you must be ever-vigilant in monitoring and responding to termites. Consider the risks and associated costs of doing nothing and then dealing with termite damage … not so great, right? The old saying about “an ounce of prevention” really does ring true. Investing in termite monitoring, responding quickly if you see evidence of their presence—both will pay dividends in the future. You’ll avoid costly maintenance and most likely avoid substantial damage to your home. If you see evidence of termites or are concerned you may have unwanted guests in your home, call a pest control professional. He or she will inspect your property and provide a solution.
Call the Termite Pros
ScherZinger Pest Control is an industry leader in termite detection and elimination. We use the revolutionary Sentricon System, which is proven to eliminate colonies. Supported by research, the Sentricon System is safe for the environment and can be used at home, in hospitals, schools, hotels, nursing homes and more. ScherZinger offers safe, effective and environmentally friendly solutions for termites and other household pests. Call today to schedule a home inspection.
ScherZinger Pest Control is a trusted pest control company in the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky areas, including Dayton and now Columbus. We’ve been pioneers who have engineered new standards for ways of eliminating and controlling bugs and pests. Contact us by phone at 1-877-748-9888 or through our website, Facebook, or Twitter.